A Guide for Day Hikers and History Buffs

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dust and Shadow


"We live in the shadow of what we endeavor, toiling for no more reward than
what we need to sustain us, dreaming that the next swing of the pick will bring
bring the riches we seek,  when we are done we will return to dust leaving behind
the evidence of our efforts in these forgotten and lonely places." 

 
This site was born of my own efforts to record and document abandoned sites, around Luna County, New Mexico, before they disappear and are forgotten forever.  I started out going out to different sites, simply to photograph and place the photos on Google Earth, (it's a feature that comes in handy when planning excursions).  I've lived in New Mexico most of my life,  I have a special interest in abandoned mines and mining camps located in Luna County. There is a wealth  of sites to explore and photograph within 20-30 minutes from my home. I use a point and shoot digital camera, it's not the best camera for close-ups and I do hope to upgrade in the near future. I use the photos to try and give a sense of time and place, to do justice to those who passed this way, people who's dreams and ambitions  brought them here, and in a way brought all of us to our place in the great Southwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment